Manitoba Loppet Final Update

Club News March 14, 2024

The Loppet Committee has really struggled with the idea of calling it quits on hosting the Manitoba Loppet this year. We were hoping that conditions would not be as bad as we feared, with all the warm weather we have had lately. But in examining the potential course today, there is too much bare ground, water, and ice to allow us to prepare a decent race course of any considerable distance. Therefore, with reluctance, we have to admit that the Loppet is not going to happen this year.

That said, realize that this is a decision we are making with our heads, but not our hearts. We are holding on to a glimmer of hope that enough of the snow on the Golf Course will remain into this weekend to allow us to throw together an informal race. This would be a spontaneous, “throw-down” race on a short course. It would likely be the last chance to race this season.

We won’t be able to make a final decision on this until Saturday, once we can see what kind of precipitation we receive on Friday. If you are keen to have one final hurrah this season, check with us on Saturday, and be prepared to jump into race mode and have some fun with us on Sunday.